Wednesday, October 31, 2012


Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane sandy was a strong storm which took everything with her. I cannot forget what I saw in this storm. The wind was like a freezing storm; trees are fallen down and block the road. Airlines have canceled thousands of flight about 1,810, hospitals are out of electric and MTA is closed for unannounced days(foxnews). In night time, I was reading “zetioun” book on 29th October.  Suddenly i heard one voice from my neighbor house fire fire…………..I just got up from my bed and went outside with my family because we thought fire in our house also. Then we saw my neighbor’s car was burning because an electrical wire in water touched the car. The car was burning about half an hour and the power of our area has already cut off. In Breezy point, the NY city coastal community destroyed 80 to 100 homes by fire (Foxnews).  Even though from morning Monday 29th October we could not drink water, we felt toxic materials in water. I think we should establish “Water Tank” in our houses where we can save rain water through the filtration as whole year. It’s not modern machine but at least we drink safe water in big catastrophe. I heard from Foxnews “Lower Manhattan” is also facing same problem in water. My father told me, we should leave our house. We could not stay our house without water and power. That time I felt why Zeitoun did not want to live his house and why he was so positive thinking to stay his house. From my own experience it was really unfortunate moment when anyone leaves her house specially when we do not know what will happen in next. NJ Gov. Christie said that about damages from sandy is “unprecedented” and “unthinkable”. It is really made a record of damages in NY (Foxnews). Now I am just waiting when I can go back my home from my aunt’s house.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mahanaj,
    I had a good time reading your blog and I see that how you experienced the Hurricane Sandy and those problem you faced during the storm. I like the way you connected even with the book Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. The thing is you just explained the damages but you did not give solution. As a mayor of the city what should have been done to prevent the cut of the electricity and water?
    how to redesign the city with its underground subway? etc... That was a great job and I have learned a lot in this blog.

    ReplyDelete